- ItemCloud architectures and management approaches(Springer International, 2018-05-19) Dong, Dapeng; Xiong, Huanhuan; González-Castañé, Gabriel; Morrison, John P.An overview of the traditional three-layer cloud architecture is presented as background for motivating the transition to clouds containing heterogeneous resources. Whereas this transition adds many important features to the cloud, including improved service delivery and reduced energy consumption, it also results in a number of challenges associated with the efficient management of these new and diverse resources. The CloudLightning architecture is proposed as a candidate for addressing this emerging complexity, and a description of its components and their relationships is given.
- ItemGuidelines for conducting software engineering research(Springer International Publishing, 2020-08) Stol, Klaas-Jan; Fitzgerald, Brian; Science Foundation Ireland; European Regional Development FundThis chapter presents a holistic overview of software engineering research strategies. It identifies the two main modes of research within the software engineering research field, namely knowledge-seeking and solution-seeking research—the Design Science model corresponding well with the latter. We present the ABC framework for research strategies as a model to structure knowledge-seeking research. The ABC represents three desirable aspects of research—generalizability over actors (A), precise control of behavior (B) and realism of context (C). Unfortunately, as our framework illustrates, these three aspects cannot be simultaneously maximised. We describe the two dimensions that provide the foundation of the ABC framework—generalizability and control, explain the four different types of settings in which software engineering research is conducted, and position eight archetypal research strategies within the ABC framework. We illustrate each strategy with examples, identify appropriate metaphors, and present an example of how the ABC framework can be used to design a research programme.
- ItemCloud service brokerage: Exploring characteristics and benefits of B2B cloud marketplaces(Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2020-08-28) Paulsson, Victoria; Emeakaroha, Vincent C.; Morrison, John; Lynn, TheoWith the increasing popularity of cloud computing, a new technology and business model called cloud service brokerage (CSB) is emerging. CSB is, in essence, a middleman in the cloud-computing supply chain to connect prospective cloud buyers with suitable service providers. This chapter focuses on a type of CSB, B2B cloud marketplaces. Recently, this type of marketplace has evolved into two broad categories—business application marketplaces and API marketplaces. This chapter reviews the characteristics of B2B cloud marketplaces, and their benefits, which include ease-of-use and ease-of-integration, enhanced security, increased manageability, faster implementation, and cost reduction. The chapter concludes with two mini-case studies, on Salesforce AppExchange and RapidAPI, to illustrate how firms could use B2B cloud marketplaces to generate, capture and measure business value.
- ItemEnergy-efficient servers and cloud(Springer International Publishing, 2018-08-22) Xiong, Huanhuan; Filelis-Papadopoulos, Christos K.; Dong, Dapeng; González-Castañé, Gabriel; Meyer, Stefan; Morrison, John P.; Horizon 2020As the sizes of cloud infrastructures continue to grow, the complexity of the cloud is becoming more and more difficult to manage. Currently, centralised management schemes dominate and there are already signs that these are no longer fit for purpose. The CloudLightning project takes a novel route, making use of self-organisation techniques to address the problems emerging from the confluence of issues in the emerging cloud: rising complexity and energy costs, problems of management and efficiency of use, the need to efficiently deploy services to a growing community of non-specialist users and the need to facilitate solutions based on heterogeneous components. CloudLightning efficiently addresses three main challenges in the domain of heterogeneous cloud computing: energy efficiency, improved accessibility to cloud and support for heterogeneity. The chapter provides an overview of the CloudLightning system.
- ItemThe future of software development methods(Routledge, Taylor & Francis, 2017-08-15) Fitzgerald, Brian; Stol, Klaas-Jan; Galliers, Robert D.; Stein, Mari-Klara; Enterprise Ireland; Science Foundation Ireland; European Regional Development FundMost of the software development methods in use today are founded on concepts that emerged in the early decades of the software industry – the systems development life cycle, object orientation, agile and lean methods, open source, software product lines, software patterns – the list goes on. However there are several disruptive elements present in the current software landscape – software ecosystems, servitization, the Internet of Things, parallel processing, cognitive computing, quantum computing – that pose significant challenges in terms of the software development methods that might be appropriate. We suggest that these disruptive elements highlight the need to create new software development methods more appropriate to the needs of the current development environment.