Dr. Richard Caulfield: antiquarian, scholar and academic librarian
No Thumbnail Available
McCarthy, J. P.
Cork Historical and Archaeological Society
The history of higher learning in Cork can be traced from its late eighteenth-century origins to its present standing within the extended confines of the Neo-Gothic architecture of University College, Cork. This institution, founded in 1845 was the successor and ultimate achievement of its forerunner, the Royal Cork Institution. The opening in 1849 of the college, then known as Queen's College, Cork, brought about a change in the role of the Royal Cork Institution as a centre of education. Its ambition of being the 'Munster College' was subsumed by the Queen's College even though it continued to function as a centre of learning up to the 1805. At this time its co-habitant, the School of Design, received a new wing under the benevolent patronage of William Crawford, and the Royal Cork Institution ceased to exist as the centre for cultural, technical and scientific learning it had set out to be. The building it occupied is today known as the Crawford Municipal Art Gallery.
Cork Historical and Archaeological Society , Royal Cork Institution , The Cork Cuvierian Society
McCarthy, J.P., 1987. Dr. Richard Caulfield: antiquarian, scholar and academic librarian. Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society, 92, pp.1-23
© Cork Historical and Archaeological Society