Direct generation of linearly polarized single photons with a deterministic axis in quantum dots
Puchtler, Tim J.
Patra, Saroj K.
Badcock, Tom J.
Oliver, Rachel A.
Taylor, Robert A.
De Gruyter Open
We report the direct generation of linearly polarized single photons with a deterministic polarization axis in self-assembled quantum dots (QDs), achieved by the use of non-polar InGaN without complex device geometry engineering. Here, we present a comprehensive investigation of the polarization properties of these QDs and their origin with statistically significant experimental data and rigorous k·p modeling. The experimental study of 180 individual QDs allows us to compute an average polarization degree of 0.90, with a standard deviation of only 0.08. When coupled with theoretical insights, we show that these QDs are highly insensitive to size differences, shape anisotropies, and material content variations. Furthermore, 91% of the studied QDs exhibit a polarization axis along the crystal [1–100] axis, with the other 9% polarized orthogonal to this direction. These features give non-polar InGaN QDs unique advantages in polarization control over other materials, such as conventional polar nitride, InAs, or CdSe QDs. Hence, the ability to generate single photons with polarization control makes non-polar InGaN QDs highly attractive for quantum cryptography protocols.
a-plane InGaN , Deterministic polarization axis , Linearly polarized single photon , Quantum dots , k p theory
Wang, T., Puchtler, T. J., Patra, S. K., Zhu, T., Ali, M., Badcock, T. J., Ding, T., Oliver, R. A., Schulz, S. and Taylor, R. A. (2017) 'Direct generation of linearly polarized single photons with a deterministic axis in quantum dots'. Nanophotonics, 6 (5), pp. 1175-1183. doi:10.1515/nanoph-2017-0027